Matte lipstick has become big for fall and winter, with its popularity exploding as the buzz from beauty editors, beauty bloggers and makeup lovers escalated. Unlike the matte formulas from the 90s, which often left lips dry and dull, these new and improved formulas are creamier, giving lips a look that is classic, but fresh. Here are five of our favorite matte lipsticks that are also vegan and cruelty-free.
1. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Black Dahlia – OCC makes it clear that they are vegan and cruelty-free because it is something in which they firmly believe. Their liquid matte lipstick is saturated with pigment for a bold color pay-off that lasts. Black Dahlia is a deep blackened red, and would have made the Black Dahlia herself swoon.
2. Pretty Zombie Cosmetics Liquid Matte Lipstick in Black – For a bold, black matte lip, Pretty Zombie Cosmetics Liquid Matte Lipstick is the way to go. Using carnauba wax instead of beeswax, this vegan formulation goes on liquid, and dries matte within a minute.
3. NYX Matte Lipstick in Merlot – Cruelty-free NYX is the makeup darling of those looking for quality makeup that won’t break the bank. About 98% of NYX makeup is vegan, and all of it is cruelty-free. The Merlot matte lipstick is a stunning deep plum, perfect for pairing with fall colors. For a full list of which NYX cosmetics are vegan, check out this excellent list put together by Carmine-Free Cosmetics.
4. Lime Crime Velvetine Lip Color in Suedeberry – Another liquid lipstick that dries matte, Lime Crime lipsticks are quickly amassing a cult following for their vivid colors and long-lasting formula. Suedeberry is a strawberry red that the makeup company compares to the iconic red shade worn by Marilyn Monroe.
5. Manic Panic Matte Lipstick in Helen Wheels – In 1977, Bronx-born sisters Tish and Snooky opened their punk-style boutique in New York City. While the store initially had a cult-following by the first generation punk scene, by the 1990s it was hitting the mainstream fashion scene. Many know Manic Panic for their vegan and cruelty-free hair color line, with bold and bright colors. They also have an extensive vegan and cruelty-free cosmetic line. Helen Wheels is a beautiful matte berry color that offers a rich color flattering on most skin tones.