Lip balms and salves in tins are convenient to slide into the smallest of handbags, and a popular way to keep your lips hydrated and healthy, especially during cold winter months. But many of the most popular products on the market are made with beeswax or petroleum, which are neither vegan or healthy. Here are our favorite options that are moisturizing, while being free of chemicals and cruelty:
1. The Kiss by Lush – This lip balm is made from a mix of Fair Trade shea and cupuaca butter, organic agave syrup and organic mandarin oil. The balm has a subtle shade of color, and PET-free shimmer, to give the lips a beautiful, lively sheen.
2. Vegan Lip Balm by Comfort and Joy Soap Co. – This lip balm is creamy and rich, with ingredients such as shea butter, candelila wax and meadowfoam seed oil. Their 4 balm flavors are made with essential oils and include: tangerine vanilla, peppermint, lavender and winter pine.
3. Coconut Kiss Balm by Pacifica – This coconut oil-based lip balm is free of carmine, petroleum and parabens. It is full of wonderful ingredients such as vitamin e, sunflower seed wax, jojoba, cacao seed butter, mango seed butter, turmeric, and fruit and vegetable extracts. The balms are naturally sweetened with stevia. Five colors are offered in neutral, mauve, pink and neutral shades.
4. Lip Butter by Nurture Botanicals – Nurture Botanicals keep their lip butters simple and effective. Shea and coconut butters, almond oil, jojoba oil vitamin e and rice bran oil make up the ingredients of these moisturizing lip balms. Their luscious lip butter options include Sweet Orange & Anise, Argumes & Vanilla, Peppermint, Spearmint, Lavender & Vanilla, and Naked (unscented).
5. Lip Butter by Herbivore Botanicals – Made with sweet almond oil, shea butter and essential oils, these lip balms are creamy and moisturizing, and leave a beautiful sheen to the lips. Varieties include rose, mint and blood orange.
Stock up on 3 or 4 to keep them around the house, in your handbag and at your desk at work.