Many health-conscious consumers are always seeking out vegan, cruelty-free and healthy deodorant options. There’s no denying that hot weather brings more sweat. Unfortunately, traditional deodorants and antiperspirants contain ingredients such as aluminum, parabens, propylene glycol and phthlates, which have been collectively linked to health issues such as breast cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, birth defects, central nervous system damage, liver damage, heart damage, hormone receptor disruption and cell mutation.
Many even contain Triclosan, which is classified as a pesticide by the FDA. The EPA has classified Triclosan as a likely carcinogen. And while this classification caused some deodorant manufacturers to remove Triclosan from their product, many still contain it as an ingredient in their formula.
The good news is, many companies recognize the need for healthier alternatives and are constantly working on formulas that are both safe and effective. The biggest hurdle is the fact that aluminum, found in many antiperspirants, is the most effective ingredient in stopping sweat. While many people can get away with just a deodorant, and not an antiperspirant, there are some who are more sweaty than others, and prefer the protection of an antiperspirant. Below is a roundup of some of our favorite vegetarian, cruelty-free and healthier deodorant alternatives:
1. Lavanila “The Healthy Deodorant” – Lavanila’s deodorants are absolutely free of parabens, petrochemicals, phthalates, silicones, propylene glycol, mineral oils, synthetic dyes, sulfates, chemical sunscreens, or aluminum. And they’re cruelty-free and vegan to boot! With scents such as vanilla lemon, vanilla lavender, vanilla passion fruit and vanilla blackberry, Lavanila deodorant offers beautiful scents that smell natural, not manufactured.
2. Jason Deodorants– With natural ingredients such as corn starch and baking soda, as well as natural antimicrobials such as Grapefruit Seed Extract, Jason Deodorants are safe while packing an odor-fighting punch. Jason Deodorants comes in scents such as apricot, aloe vera, lavender and tea tree, as well as being offered in unscented versions.
3. Lush Dirty Body Spray – We didn’t forget about the men! One of our personal favorite compassionate personal care brands, Lush, has unrolled a natural, vegan and cruelty-free deodorant for men. Ingredients such as sandalwood, lavender and neroli oil act as odor and bacteria-fighting ingredients, while tarragon and spearmint impart a clean scent.
4. Organic Pit Putty – Pit Putty is an organic vegan and cruelty-free deodorant that relies on the likes of arrow root, organic extra virgin coconut oil, organic lemon essential oil and organic clove essential oil to combat summer stinkiness. It’s available in natural scents such as lime geranium, lemon clove, jasmine mint, lemongrass, orange vanilla, spearmint and tea tree, as well as unscented. For those who need extra protection, they offer versions of each scent with added baking soda, and even have a “super” deodorant, which has an added boost of baking soda and patchouli.
5. Bonus: Soapwalla Deodorant Cream & Irie Star Blissoma natural spray deodorant – These two deodorants combined were dubbed the Ultimate Natural Deodorant Duo by Organic Beauty Talk. According the reviewer, first rubbing Soapwalla’s Deodorant Cream into her underarms, and then misting them with the Irie Star Blissoma natural spray deodorant, gave her all-day protection in the scorching 100-degree Texas heat.
We’d love to hear your feedback on your favorite healthier deodorant – the good, the bad and the stinky.